Midwestern Musings

In a tribute to those musicians and storytellers, both current and nearly forgotten, I’ll provide a folk music lyric to begin my musings.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Weeds!


Slug by Slug,
Weed by Weed,
My garden's really got me teed" *


When it rains, it pours, and apparently it doesn't stop. We have had a record rainfall amount, and the garden loves it. (It has also been paired with record heat.) Unfortunately, the weeds are growing, like, well...a weed. They have overtaken most of the garden. I have tried to put down slate stepping stones, but I have had to use them to cover the weeds. It's not really working.

The good news is that the squash family members love the weather. Zuchinni, crooked neck squash, cucumbers, and pumpkins are all going well. We have had basket after basket of yellow crooked neck squash. Grilled, steamed, fried...we've had it. If you have a new recipe for using squash, please send me one. I'm running out of options, and I don't even like squash.

Speaking of squash, I'm alittle worried about the zuchinni. It was going great guns, but now a few leaves are beginning to wilt. If it's squash vine borers, or squash bugs, all my squash family is in peril. Maybe they're just over-heated. :-)

I now have 3 baby pumpkins. Yay! The biggest is roughly 3 inches tall. (See picture.) I hope we can keep them all healthy until fall!





* Eric Kilborn

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home