Midwestern Musings

In a tribute to those musicians and storytellers, both current and nearly forgotten, I’ll provide a folk music lyric to begin my musings.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Garden Song

"Inch by inch, row by row.
Gonna make this garden grow.
All it takes is a rake and hoe,
And a piece of fertile ground."*

For those who have read me before, you know I love Thoreau, and his premises in Walden that we should live by: Simplicity of life, kinship with nature, self-reliance. So, I have embraced all three and I have joined the ranks of the green movement by starting my garden. It's 14 ft by 21 ft which seems tiny in a 4.5 acre yard, but it's my first attempt. I'm going with a non-conventional, European design. I'm mixing flowers, herbs and vegetables all together. No rows, just stuff. If it grows on a vine, we're going vertical. I hope to keep you all posted on the progress.


* Written by Dave Mallett, performed by John Denver, Peter Paul and Mary, John McCutcheon, and of course, the Muppets, among others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home