Midwestern Musings

In a tribute to those musicians and storytellers, both current and nearly forgotten, I’ll provide a folk music lyric to begin my musings.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Does Your Spearmint Lose It's Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?

“Oh me, oh my, oh you; I don't know what to do.
Hallelujah, the question is peculiar.
It's got me on the go,I'd give a lot of dough.
If someone here would tell me is it yes or is it no


In my youth, just a few seasons ago, there were several “riddles” that people told and you proceeded to ask them yes or no questions to ascertain enough information to venture a guess. As a rule, most people gave up soon, and just demanded to know the answer. I came across a few of those puzzlers that I, for some reason, decided to keep all these years.

An example:
A man lies dead in the middle of the desert, with a pack on his back. How did he die?”

You ask: Did he die from thirst?

I say:NO.

You ask: Did he die from rattlesnake bite?

I say:NO.

You ask: Was he alone?

I say: “Not relevant”

You ask: Is he fully clothed? (You’re weird.)

I say: Yes.

You ask: Did he die from heat exhaustion?

I say:NO.

I say: Give up yet?


You pommel me with organic fruit and demand an answer.

Answer: He was jumping out of a plane and his parachute failed to open.

You pummel me with more fruit.


Today’s puzzler: A man on his way home takes 3 left turns and is greeted by 2 men in masks. Who are these 2 men?



*Try the Irish Rovers for answers to this and other musical questions like “Donald, Where's Your Trousers?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home